photo thdishcloths.jpg

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hazy Days


Here they are in all their completed glory, toes intact. I know my Mom will love these come Christmas time because they are very warm and will keep her nice and comfy.

The dog days of summer are here and has it ever been steaming hot outside. I thank God everyday that we have air conditioning and I often wonder how our grandparents and parents survived without it, especially the poor women who slaved over hot stoves, washed with wringer washing machines, plus, didn't have the ease of microwaves and frozen food. All this and when they reached menopause it must have been sheer hell on earth trying in vain to stay cool. Personally, I think they all deserve a gold medal for surviving and continuing to do for their husbands and children no matter how awful they were feeling at the time. Here's to you Mom and to my much missed Grandmother who even managed to bake occasionally in the summer time. :)

I'm still working on the lap blanket and using up stash yarn like it's water! I read somewhere that crocheting takes up to 30% more yarn than knitting for a project depending on how loose or tightly you work. All I can say is AMEN to that because I feel great finally using this yarn that I've had for at least 4 years now. Yes, Martha, it's a good thing! :)

Also, you'll notice I put a note under my weight loss ticker that I won't be updating how much I've lost until September when I go for my regular check up with my doctor. I figured I'd let her weigh me on the professional scale even though her scale always weighs me 3 to 4 pounds heavier than mine does. The reason being is that I don't want to get discouraged if I weigh myself and either there is no loss or there's only a pound or so off. I know how I get and I'd be saying to myself, "you mean to say that I'm killing myself watching my food intake and exercising till I drop and this is IT?" S0, to spare myself any possible disappointment which would only spell "giving up the ship" for me, I'll give myself 2 months (well, okay, just a bit shy) and see what the story is then.....................and by gads, it better be good! :)



"Of all sad words of tongue or pen, so wails the poet in his pain,
The saddest are, "It might have been," and world-wide runs the dull refrain.
The saddest? Yes, but in the jar, this thought brings to me with its curse,
I sometimes think the gladest are,
It might have been a blamed sight worse!"
Grantland Rice

2 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Laura,

those socks are so beautiful and just right for Christmas time giving.

Yay that you are using up all that yarn in the lap blanket. I look forward to seeing it.

hugs,
mary anne

Dorothy said...

Thanks Laura,
It's hurts, but I know I'm doing the right thing.