photo thdishcloths.jpg

Monday, September 04, 2006

Bring On The Cool Weather!


Labor Day is here and that's a sure sign that Fall is right around the corner. I can't tell you how happy that makes me because I detest the hot, humid weather during the summer. Yes, I know I'm way in the minority but it wouldn't be the first time.
I'm making considerable progress on the lap blanket for one of my Mom's Christmas presents. I need to finish at least 3 other projects for others before the big day gets here and only 1 of the 3 is about half finished.....the other 2, I just started so I have alot of knitting to accomplish and I know I would if I could just stop starting other projects! I know darned well I shouldn't start something else but the excitement of the new yarn and pattern always sucks me in! :) However, I'm sure there are many worse things to be guilty of and to be honest, I only feel a very slight twinge of guilt for this one. I have Very Happy Birthday wishes to my sweet daughter and my very sweet granddaughter, both this week! They make my heart fill with joy and happiness and today we get to celebrate with them and my wonderful son-in-law. Hot dogs, hamburgers, homemade tray of mac n' cheese, baked beans, devilled eggs, assorted snacks, and the all important birthday cake. I may even take a small sliver of that.....how can I resist?


I managed to break into double digits with my walking goal and moved the ticker back to the top of my blog so I can keep better track of things at first glance. Wow, I cannot believe that I've walked 54 miles so far.....this is a record for me as far as staying with my exercising, and weight training, but now I have a great addition to my routine for burning calories and here it is, the picture I promised you last week......isn't it a beauty? Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My wonderful kids (and that includes my daughters-in- law and soon to be DIL) went in together and bought this for me while I was at the shore. We went to the bike shop there and I got to try out about 4 bikes called cruisers which just have the foot brakes, regular handle bars, and a nice seat. It was pretty comical watching me trying to navigate just getting on the bike at first, and then when I finally got started, my husband and sweet DIL, held onto it until the front wheel was able to right itself after all the shaking, rattling, and rolling I was doing. My son actually took a picture of me wobbling my way down the sidewalk with his cellphone camera which I'm still insisting he delete.

Geez, I remember the good old days when I'd hop onto my bike and ride for hours, nary a wobble in sight. Not only that but WOW, what a major workout for the legs and caboose area (not that there's anything wrong with that). Was it this hard then, because I never noticed it if it was and we went up hills galore. I guess that's just one of the "not so great" perks of getting a bit older....ahh, sweet youth.
Having my bike will allow me to add something else into my exercising routine and trade off walking and bike riding on different days. My kids even got me the basket so that I can take my cell phone in the event I have a spill. Oh boy, I can see it now, me lying in the gravel crying like a baby and trying to dial "somebody". I just hope I don't have to say, "help me, I've fallen and I can't get up".
Seriously though, I hope that never happens but if you saw me shaking that front wheel, you'd have some reservations, believe me. :)

Well, that's it for now, as I want to get everything all set for my sweetheart's arrival and I wish you all a wonderful holiday and a good week ahead.

"Character is what emerges from all the little things you were too busy to do yesterday, but did anyway." Mignon McLaughlin

5 comments:

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Laura,

I absolutely love your bike! Keep safe and have fun riding the countryside. : )
Also, I think it's a good idea to keep your cell phone with you. I sure would!

Happy belated Birthday wishes to those in your family with birthdays. Wow, the food listing is making me hungry.

Wow, I suffer the same plight of wanting to start new projects with new yarn before the ongoing projects are finished. Isn't that normal for knitters? : )

My sock knitting is always done 2 socks on 1 circ with the magic loop technique. This is what cured my second sock syndrome! Now both socks are finished at the same time.

Have a great week.

Shelly

Mary Anne said...

What a gorgeous bike, Laura! I'm sure you will have lots of fun and some grand adventures with this new addition. I'm glad that you will carry your cell phone, just in case. Happy cycling!!

Procrastiknitter said...

How wonderful!

Sharon said...

What a lovely, kind family you have. Lots of new adventures awaiting you.

Jenny Raye said...

Laura,
I must have missed your post about the new bike. Thanks for mentioning it in your post today on my blog. She's a real beauty! Have you gotten used to riding again? They say you never forget how to ride a bike, but I can testify that it does take a while to get the rust off the memory....and the joints. Hope you are enjoying her!