photo thdishcloths.jpg

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spring is Slowly Appearing

Spring is taking it's good old time appearing in my neck of the woods but that's okay with me.  The way I see it, the longer it takes to warm up, the less time it will eventually be hotter than blazes with humidity that takes every ounce of energy out of me.  I am looking forward to the buds blooming though and the leaves coming back on the trees as it is such a beautiful time of the year.  I'm not sure if we'll get our annual hibiscus like the one above this year or not since we've decided to plant some impatients (I think that's how they're spelled) of various colors all in one pot and put out on our front porch and also on our patio out back.  When they start to bloom I will take lots of pictures and share the beauty with you.

 I've finally decided to take the plunge and try my hand at a gansey and I'm currently working on the Gansey Sampler by Beth Brown-Reinsel.  There are quite a few new things to do on this sweater, things, I've never attempted before.  The Channel Island cast on always freaked me out but once I actually 'saw' it done, well, like anything else it wasn't as difficult as I thought but just hard to explain in words alone.  Since it's only a sampler and ergo, a learning process, I'm using an acrylic yarn, Vanna's Choice (color: linen) which works up quite satisfactorilyI chose a light color so I could see all the patterning and immediately spot where I'd made mistakes, which I've already done.  I'm not sure that I'll ever knit a true Gansey sweater for myself or anyone in my family but I do really like patterning with purl rows placed strategically here and there.  I am learning several new things though, and that's always a plus in knitting and in life, LOL.

 I'm also working on a pair of socks using Claudia's Handpainted yarn in the aptly named color, 'mushroom hunting', which I really like.  This yarn is lovely to knit with and has a spring to it's step and a lovely softness.....really reminds me quite a bit of  Koigu, also one of my favorite sock yarns.  I'm using size 2 dpns (the square Kollage needles) and I am enjoying knitting with them as they glide easily and don't fight me on every turn like some needles tend to do.  

Well, here's to all of you for a happy and enjoyable spring time and thanks for stopping by.  

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

The gansey should be an exciting knit and a great learning experience. I love the colours in your mushroom socks!

Happy spring, Laura!
x